100 CONCEPTS TO THINK AND DESCRIBE SOUND CINEMA
Bilingual version (French, English)
(French text by M.C., translated by Claudia Gorbman.
This text lists 97 terms, wordings, and concepts I've made up since I started working on sound in cinema and teach it in 1980, from the three types of listening : reduced, semantic and causal listening as defined by Pierre Schaeffer.
Thanks to Columbia University Press for permitting reusing their translations appearing on my book FILM, A SOUND ART and to Claudia Gorbman, who actually did this precise and rigourous translation.
These concepts were developed in more than 30 years, and are presented here in a logical order.
If you want to use this text as a glossary, and find the definition of a concept, notion or diea, you can browse the two alphabetical lists at the end of the document.
M.C , October 18th 2012.
You can find here notes for my students at the Paris 3 university, in French only, where there might be some new approaches to analysing cinema.
- L'échelle au cinéma (download)
- Le téléphone au cinéma (download)
- Jour et nuit au cinéma (download)
- La description du son dans l'analyse audio-visuelle (download)
- La question du bruit rapportée aux genres cinématographiques (download)
- Les films bi et multi lingues (download)
- Le film musical français (download)
- Transitions et enchaînements (download)